Thursday, November 5, 2009

I make you good price!


Since this was such an integral part of our trip I've decided it warrants its own post. So here you go, the 10 steps every good tourist must follow to purchase something in Morocco:

1. Having spotted something you're interested in buying- pretend to not like it. 
 Keeping a general aura of indifference will get you far in the Moroccan markets. If you even let on how much you like something the vendors will never make you a fair price.

2. Avoid speaking English to most vendors. 
Let's face it- everyone pegs American tourists as being rich- bust out your french or arabic instead and make them wonder...  Standard discourse:
Vendor: "Hello!, you are American, no?"
Us: "Bonjour"
Vendor: "Francais? Oui? Alors, pas trop cher!

note- occasionally speaking English helped us- when we would find a vendor who had a soft spot for Americans, and they usually always figured out that we spoke both languages so most conversations were a mix of the two.

 3. Decide what you're going to buy, how much you're willing to pay, and ask the price. 

While this is a good idea in essence it doesn't actually get you very far considering there are no set prices - here's how the conversation usually goes..
Us: Ça coûte combien? (How much does it cost?)
Vendor: How many you buy? I make you good price? Pas trop cher!

The number of things you're buying from one vendor really does make a difference. So plan ahead and have whispered conversations with your friends to decide how many relatives you have who might possibly  appreciate a wooden camel.



4. The vendor offers initial price- which you are obliged to laugh at. 
This is just the jumping off point of the process- the man, full well knowing no one will ever pay the price offers something exorbitant. (You have to basically divide by ten in your head considering 1 euro = 11ish Durhams, if you want you can then multiply by 1.5 to get to dollars but that's just depressing) 


5. You offer a ridiculously low price.
The trick is to offer something really low- much lower than your willing to pay- but without completely offending the man. If he thinks you aren't serious he won't bargain with you


6. Discussion of quality
This is always a fun part of the process- he goes on and on about "Made by hand!" you tell him that you've seen the same thing for much cheaper and he goes off about "NO NO, not the same- feel this, feel this, the quality!" It is also in this step that the girls usually get dressed/draped/donned with whatever we are considering buying- nothing inappropriate but I hope you don't mind being touched by strangers. 


7. Repeat steps 4, 5, 6.
Each time you go through the cycle he will offer a price slightly lower and you one slightly higher. The vendors absolutely thrive on this and honestly get enjoyment out of it. They appreciate this even more than if you were to just walk in and pay their price up front- it is clearly a thing of pride to them. 


8. Throw in an occasional "I'm a just a student" or "I think I'll go look somewhere else"
This always elicits the response, "Oh, you are student? I make you good price!" "Ok, since you are student, I give you special price" Come up with any reason you can and they'll lower the price "just for you" The "because you pretty girl" discount never hurt my feelings either :) 


9. Play hard ball
When you've finally arrived somewhere in the middle of the price range, no matter how much they say they won't go lower, don't budge. Stick to the price you originally picked out. Even if it means just standing there for 10 mintues saying no to every offer. 


10. Walk away
This is always the best part- it made me feel so bold like my daddy- after you've haggled- about 10-20 minutes at this point and if the vendor still isn't giving you your price, you have to walk away. This will let them know you're serious. Even if you put a good 50 feet between you and the stall I promise you that 9 times out of 10 he will come running through the crowd to drag you back to his stall and offer a different price. This walking away usually needs to be repeated 2 or 3 times before he finally gives in, you shake, and after he squirrels away your money and offers you wrinkled bills in return the purchase is complete.


#11. Bonus advice
Don't get so caught up in the adrenaline of the process that you forget why you are even buying something..... who am I kidding?- go crazy! You can worry later about how you are going to drag all the stuff you bought home and whether or not that sweet Moroccan tribal mask will look good with your mom's horse decorations. (: 




4 comments:

  1. Your father would be so proud! Did you REALLY do any of this? My little Rebecca?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tribal mask? don't think it'll go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little girl has finally learned the family trade. I am soooo proud of you. I teared up as a read this. Once, shortly after meeting your mother, I bought a scoop shovel at a mega flea market in Dallas. I used this exact technique (yes, I told them that I had already saw 10 more just like this one - maybe better one's... of course I never saw one..). Of course this all blew up in my face after I bragged about the technique and proclaimed to everyone that I was the master of this. Later, I found something I had been looking for forever, and what came out of my mouth? Before I could think, I blurted out..... WOW, I MUST HAVE THIS.... breaking the cardinal rule. Of course I had to pay full price (maybe more). The group teased me unmercifully for years after that..... I love you honey. Pop

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blast! I'm glad you became a pro at this!

    ReplyDelete